Rolling Scones

Hey all!

I'm so awful! I said I would post this recipe last week and I just never got to it. So I've finally found some time and I am going to post it now! :D

The thing is, I've been overloaded with work, getting ready for going off to University and helping my cousins move to North Carolina! So I just haven't had the time to post.

Sorry!

This is going to be quick and to the point, and I hope you don't mind.

I'm squeezing this post in before I head off to Spinning Class...Which I recommend you all try at least once! I love it! :D 

Maybe I'll do a post on it one day if you'd like?? :)

Anywayss...I made this recipe about 2 weeks ago and it was delicious AND healthy.

It is not my own recipe, but it is from the recipe book called "The Looneyspoons Collection" by Janet & Greta Podleski. I did however make a few substitutions to make it extra healthy (even though the recipe alone has pretty healthy ingredients.

You can check out their website here! They have a few recipes on their site, but I DO recommend buying this cookbook. I've made a few things from it already and all were delicious!

The great thing about this book is that they give you the nutrition information (except for the "Splurge-Worthy Section). So you can alway ensure that you are getting the proper nutrition you need in your life :)

The Rolling Scones

Makes 12 Scones
125 calories, 3g total fat (1.5 g saturated fat), 3 g protein, 22 g carbohydrate, 1.2 g fibre, 24 mg cholesterol, 311 mg sodium

^^ I'd say that sounds pretty good to me :) Compared to the 300-400 calorie scones you may buy at a bakery.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups all-purpopse flour ***
1/2 cup oat bran
1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries, chopped***
1/3 cup packed brown sugar***
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
2 tbsp butter, melted
2 tsp grated orange zest***
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg***

***My Substitutions***
- Instead of 1 1/2 cups all-purose flour, I used 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- Instead of 1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries, I used 1/4 cup of dried cranberries and 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds. This gave the scones a nice nutty flavour to it
- Instead of 1/3 cup brown sugar, I used 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1 packet (1 g) of stevia.
- I did not have any oranges handy so instead of the 2 tsp grated orange zest I used 2 tsp grate lime zest. Plus...I love limes ;)
- I ALSO did not have any eggs BUT I did happen to have egg whites from those egg beater containers so instead of 1 egg I used 1/4 cup egg whites

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 F. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside



In a large bowl, combine flour, oat bran, cranberries, brown sugar, baking pwder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

If you wanted to add anything else, like seeds, nuts, chocolate chips, etc..this is the time to do so.



In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, butter, orange zest (or any other citrus zest ;) ),  and vanilla. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Stir until a soft dough is formed.





 Add a bit more flour if dough is too sticky (I definitely had to do this).




Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surgace. Divide into 2 pieces.

Shape each piece into a ball. Place balls on baking sheet. Roll out or pat dough to 3/4-inch thick circles, about 6 inches in diameter. 

Using a sharp knife, cut each circle into 6 wedges, but do not separate them. (Here, I cut them into 8)




To make glaze, lightly beat egg and 1 tbsp water in a small bowl. Brush glaze lightly overtop of dough (you will use less than half of it).

Bake for 15-17 minted, until socnes are puffed up and golden.




Cool slightly. Pull scones apart and serve warm :)



They were OH SO GOOD!

Enjoy!


Have a great weekend my friends :)

~XoXo Britt



Comments

Popular Posts